RE: Lower Lower Price on DDAR

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Lower Lower Price on DDAR
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:41:28 +0100

You're right, it is s good natured list, but I don't think I've ever
mentioned my house (which is actually a converted 2.5 car garage that I'm
not particularly proud of), or my car! I have mentioned my HiFi, several
times, more because it is a passion than anything else. Let me give you
some
background. I LOVE music. I listen to music more than I watch TV. When I
was
at school, I worked during the holidays (couldn't work evenings or
Saturdays
I was at boarding school - not because I come from a wealthy family, my
father was in the army, and serving overseas for the early part of my
schooling), to earn money to buy a HiFi. I've been an enthusiast ever since
I can remember. I can tell the difference between CD and vinyl, when
listening back to back, but records have other major limitations and to my
ears are not worth the grief.

6 years ago, when working in the city, I was knocked off my motorbike by
someone who wasn't looking, and rendered paraplegic. While in hospital (for
7 months), I planned my new home. I actually designed the entire living
area
around a Home Cinema - starting off with what could be described as entry
level bolt-on components, and gradually upgrading it over time. One of the
rules I've set myself is to not touch the capital of the compensation I
receive only the annual income, so I've had to upgrade over time, rather
than splash out vast sums of cash on the state of the art.

Now back to the subject at hand. I've heard mp3 on other people's systems
and have not been convinced. Whether that was down to the quality of the
software used to do the encoding process, or something else I don't know,
but on the evidence I've been presented so far I'm not convinced. I want to
know for myself. I've got a very sensitive replay chain, and in order to
give mp3 the best possible shot I want to know how best to go about things.
I promise you an objective review, and even though it may not be directly
relevant to your situation surely it must be of some interest?

You've got a great opportunity to convince a cynic here, but don't seem to
want to take advantage of it. If the boot was on the other foot and you
were
asking me about the difference cables can make t a quality HiFi
installation, I would jump at the chance, even though I would probably be
berated by 90% of the membership here.

Do you see my point?

Let's cut out all the crap, and get back to the real issue. Should I use a
separate ripper?

Tim.

This
> is a good natured list.  People generally have a nice tone with
> one another.
> People generally don't some over all superior, or tell others how
great
> their house,car,hifi is or how much better/more expensive than
everyone
> elses it is.
>
> I'm going to stop now before I say something I regret.
>
> M.

HiFi,
> then
> > I can see an application there.
> >
> > Now will someone answer my original question? Will I get a
> better results
> > from using a separate ripper or will using the CDex front end
> to LAME give
> > good results.
> >
> > Tim.

lifestyle!