RE: Lower Lower Price on DDAR

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Lower Lower Price on DDAR
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:38:24 +0100

> But Tim....the DDAR plays straight .wav files too.  Personally
> the convience
> of the system has meant I've heard more of my music that I had done in
> long time.  Having instant access to all my 4000 tracks (and
> that's small by
> most peoples standards) is fab!

Dito. Its been one of my best HA purchases so far, We love putting it on
random play and listening to all those forgotten tracks

> > On a more serious note, I should be in a position to do the
> blind test on
> > encoding rates later today. I've downloaded the LAME encoder. I
was
> > intending to use it with CDex 1.30, but have read elsewhere that
it is
> best
> > to rip the CD first. Is that the case or should I be OK with what
I've
> got.
>
> Hmmmm...seems from you statement above that you've already made
> your mind up
> you don't like MP3s before you start these tests.

I am sure that a trained ear may/will be able to detect a difference, I
have
tried and was able to detect a difference 50% of the time 2 out of 4 but
then again that in no better that flipping a coin! My HiFi only cost ?1000
so it might not be good enough anyway, at nearly 40 my hearing will not be
up to scratch either.

Even if there is a detectable difference, life is full of compromises and
in
my case  any small reduction in quality (if there is any) is easily
outweighed by the convenience and increased range of music on line all the
time.

I have only one complaint about the DDAR, The track selection could be a
lot
better in two respects:-

1. server control, there is no way of telling the server to stream a
particular track

2. trying to programme a Pronto with each album and select it from the DDR
is impossible

Count me in for another ! Unfortunatly I dont think you will suceed...Yet I
understand the problem over shipping is about a licence for the product.

John