RE: Supplier of CAT5 cable

eGroups My Groups ukha_d Main Page Start a new group!

Also, stranded cable can make a better contact with the blades of the rj45 contacts, I've had a few solid code cables with dodgy connections because the blade had simply bent round the solid core.

At 11:12 07/09/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Sorry to butt in, but I'm thinking of installing a 100MB switch and running
>CAT 5 to various points around the house. There seems to be a big difference
>in the price between stranded and solid. Is solid OK to use for this type of
>application. I thought stranded was used primarily for fly leads ?

I understand stranded is slightly more expensive to manufacture, and a lot
more solid is made, so it gets cheaper still.

IIRC (though I don't have figures to hand), stranded has slightly poorer
performance (capacitance and NEXT?), so ideally should only be used where
flexibility is important.  Don't quote me on that last bit though...

But because solid is usually hidden in wall spaces, there isn't really
demand for different colours.  Each box I buy usually is a slightly
different shade of grey, which is sometimes useful for identification...

Nigel

Stuart Grimshaw
Schoolsnet Ltd                         Special
t: 07976 625221                        Projects
e: sg@xxxxxxx                   Developer
f: 0870 7060260
              www.schoolsnet.com
"It has been claimed that a very large number of monkeys, armed with a very large number of typewriters, would eventually reproduce the great works of mankind. It would appear that the internet is well on its way to proving that wrong." - Anonymous