RE: Ultimate Central Heating Th ermostat

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Ultimate Central Heating Th ermostat
  • From: Williams Christopher C <CCWILLIAMS@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:53:31 -0000

I have a Honeywell AQ6000 that I installed several years ago, before
getting into HA.
This unit has temperature sensors outside, on the hot water tank (if I
had one :)) and on the central heating flow pipe coming out of the
boiler.
When first switched on it learns the heating response for the house (
takes 3 days apparently ). I guess it comes up with some figure for the
thermal resistance of the house in general. It is programmed to be a
certain temperature at a certain time and if it is colder outside it
comes on sooner.  Initially it comes on with the boiler running at full
tilt, but once up to temp. it reduces the temperature of the water in
the radiators, by switching the boiler off earlier than its own
thermostat, to maintain the temperature at the desired level.  This
means you never have to alter the boiler settings and the heating just
comes on in the spring and autumn to take the chill off.

I am very pleased with the system.  The main cpu box can be mounted near
the boiler and zone valves and the control box/thermostat  can be
mounted where convenient.  It is connected to the main unit with just
two wires.  ( Supplies power and bi-directional comms! Pre 1-Wire?? ).

The main problems with the unit are that it can only control 1 zone.  (
This is probably a consequence of the way it works.  Would be difficult
to learn the thermal resistance of different parts of the house and even
more difficult to control the water temp in the different zones? )
There are only three temperature settings that can be set, Comfort,
Activity and Night.  Each range can be set to whatever temp you like.
You can have up to six temp changes per day and days are either work
days or rest days.  One problem that occurs, if it is currently in say
Activity mode and someone is cold, the temptation is to increase the
temperature level of the mode instead of changing mode.  This setting is
then permanent, until I reset it :).

Additionally the unit runs the pump for a minutes at 12pm every day and
switches the system off in the summer ( automatic due to outside temp.
compensation ).  It also has build in frost protection.

I have got 5 zones in my house, Downstairs, Upstairs, Kitchen, Bathroom,
Shower Room.  I have fooled the controller into thinking that the
Bathroom and Shower Room radiators are in fact hot water tanks!  So far
I just have a simple arrangement with a relay so I can force the system
to heat up the bathroom radiator with the flick of a switch just outside
the door.  Eventually I will use a Tini processor to control the zoning
so that I can boost the Shower Room or the Bathroom or either.
Currently the Upstairs and Downstairs zones work in parallel.  I may add
an upstairs thermostat to reduce the temp during the day, this may upset
the controller however.

Cheers,

Chris Williams

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information
is
prohibited and may be unlawful.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/9/_/2065/_/972989657/