RE: X10 LM10U and electronic transformer halogen lights

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X10 LM10U and electronic transformer halogen lights
  • From: John Hammond <john.hammond@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:55:58 -0000

I guess you mean an LW10U which is the wall X10 dimmer.  No you do not need
a 35mm back box, but as you probably know by now you cannot use the LW10U
for dimming these lights.  If you go for mains voltage halogens just be
careful of the heat that they give out because it could damage light
fittings made for the low voltage type.

Your other alternative is to use Lutron Telume dimmers (which we sell)
which are dimmers for leading edge dimming transformers such as IBL or
Mode.  They will not work with trailing edge ones such as FET however.  The
Telume uses IR for control and fits into a normal light switch back box.
Your problem with this arrangement would be that you could only automate
it with other X10 but cutting power to the switch and to do that you need
DIN switches which you say you cannot use.  DIN dimmers would be the best
bet for dimming the electronic transformer in the first place, although
they will give a buzzing sound which the Telume would not.

regards
John