Re: X10 LM10U and electronic transformer halogen lights

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: X10 LM10U and electronic transformer halogen lights
  • From: Ant Skelton <ant@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:26:46 +0000

Patrick Lidstone wrote:

> Tried the usual websites, no joy...
> Will the LM10U live-only wall X-10 wall switch work with halogens
> powered by an electronic transformer (I think - they are dimmable
> using a conventional dimmer switch, anyway) ?
> If not, what are the alternatives to achieve dimming via X10? Would
> an LM10G (live & neutral) work? (DIN rail is not an option for
me).
> And finally - does the LM10U require a 35mm wall box.

No, the LM10 of any flavour will not work with low voltage halogens fed
from a transformer. You can't feed a transformer with the sort of
waveforms that triac dimmers give out - they just don't like it. What
you could do though, is replace your low voltage halogens with mains
voltage halogens. Provided their total load is 40W or more, they work
fine.

ant

No bidding, no
guesswork.  Just