Re: HomeChoice - route to cheap(er) ADSL?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: HomeChoice - route to cheap(er) ADSL?
  • From: "James Traynor" <james@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 15:58:10 -0000

I have been using the homechoice service for a few weeks now, and so=20
far it has proved very good.  for =A320 a month + =A340 installation I=20
got a set top box with access to their pay per view film channel and=20
115k ADSL(that is around 14k/sec downloads).  I have the box plugged=20
into my win2k server running Internet connection sharing and it=20
distributes internet to my other PCs. The quality of the internet=20
seems so far to be good, its not as fast as BT's ADSL but its half=20
the price.  As far as the video goes the quality IMO is not great (=20
512kbbs - 115kbbs /8 =3D 49kb/s for video which is a 1/3 of Video CD=20
banwidth) but it is still very watchable. Having full control=20
certainly makes sheduled TV look very old hat.
My initial attempts at running a web server failed but I will keep=20
you all posted if I get it to work.
One last thing I got this thing installed 4 days after I called them=20
up, now if only BT were that quick

James

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@h...>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> this morning I got some (more) junk mail that I very nearly threw=20
away=20
> without opening, however, since it mentioned "TV that you
control"=20
on the=20
> envelope, I though I'd take a look...
>=20
> It's from a company called "HomeChoice" which is a Video On
Demand=20
service.
>=20
> The bit that got me interested though, is that they provide a Video=20
on=20
> Demand service on BT ADSL. - from what I have read (including the=20
small=20
> print), their "minimum" TV package is just =A36 month,
(which gives=20
you just 1=20