Re: Ultimate Central Heating Thermostat

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:24:49 +0100,
REB.Barnett@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Winter is nearly here, and I have a spare 5 minutes, so I've started on
the
>spec for the house thermostat I've always wanted [...] I'm thinking of
implementing
>some sort of weighted average of temp increase rates held against
ambient
>temperature, so the system will know that if the current temp is 18C,
it
>will take x mins to reach 20C. That way I can set it to have the house
at
>20C by 7:30am, and on colder days the system will come on earlier to
>compensate.

I have a very simple system that is both reliable and energy-efficient
(gotta do my bit for the planet!).  When I wake up I put the
thermo-sensor (arm) out from under the duvet which rapidly senses the
ambient temperature.  A quick rub of the motion detectors activates
them to detect the wind-chill factor according to how much the
curtains are blowing in the wind from the open window.  An auxiliary
sound input is attuned to falling rain and its intensity.  My 8086
processor accepts all these inputs and by reference to a self-learning
algorithm works out how many layers of clothes of a particular type to
wear.  There is a short delay while the system comes up to the
required temperature but once I have got the clothes out of the
wardrobe this soon goes away.

On colder days I put on an extra shirt.

Geoff

eGroups eLerts