RE: Ultimate Central Heating Thermostat

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Ultimate Central Heating Thermostat
  • From: "Ian" <I.Bird@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:05:04 +0100

I am not sure how much help this will be but this is what I have put in at
home. It has only been in a week so it's very early days and I am tweaking
the programming all the time.

I have the TX15B bi-directional thermostat from RCS and an HV unit with
expansion module or whatever it's called. The TX15B thermostat will 'tell'
HV when any of its parameters change. This includes the current
temperature,
whether Wifey has activated a boost cycle or pretty much anything else. I
use the switched outputs on the RCS unit to trigger a relay which is a
direct replacement for the old thermostat - even to the point of using the
capacitor and resistors off it. This is really now acting as an on off for
the heating system. I have retained all the old controller etc. so if and
when we move I can easily put the system back to standard. Since at the
moment I only have one zone this works great.

I also have two of the Dallas temperature sensors connected using the
expansion board. One of these is in the bedroom and the other in the
lounge.
The main thermostat is in the hall. At different times of the day or night
read different temperature sensors in order to decide whether to have the
heating on or not. This has worked well so far. Wifey likes it as the
bedroom is a constant temperature during the night now and she can even
alter the temperature up or down using the 8 in 1 remote control from bed.
As I said though all the brains is in HV and I know comfort and HV are
slightly different in this respect. Not having Comfort I don't know what
can
be done. As for predicting temperature change. I don't do this at the
moment, everything is reactionary. It should be quite easy though (again
using HV) and the only other inputs needed would be outside temperature and
possibly wind speed and direction (oh dear, that's a weather station on the
shopping list as well).

Plans
If I can find them at the right price I am going to fit electric valves to
most of the radiators. This will mean I can almost have as many zones as
rooms and since we tend to live either upstairs or downstairs at various
times of the day like most families this should work well. At the moment I
am working on my wiring plans and buttering up Wifey with stories of
redecorating to fix all the holes in the wall that might just appear when
she pops out for a while. Wifey and I also have very different waking hours
as well so when I set up the 'who is at home' intelligence I can
incorporate
this into the schedules as well.

So many plans, so little time in the day. I can feel a holiday coming on.
Roll on Xmas.

Ian