RE: Vinyl to MP3

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Vinyl to MP3
  • From: rj@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:26:54 +1300

When Im not trying to electrocute myself playing with HA or playing network
technician, I am a club DJ, Ive been doing this record to pc thing for
years, firstly as WAV files then more recently as MP3 files, I use a mixer
to do this as it allows me to step down the different line level voltages
and also has an equalizer onboard as well, but any HIFI system will be able
to do this, what I have found is that you can fix 90% of the problems by
tuning them out with your EQ, do a couple of sample runs playing with the
EQ
settings usually dropping down the mid a tiny bit and bringing up the high
(treble) will work well, also if your turntable has a earth strap make sure
this is earthed to your computer and your using decent signal cables. also
moving the table away from the pc will often stop the droany thuds that you
will sometimes get if the record is off balance or slightly warped.  If
your
having problems with hiss and crackles, turning the treble down a fraction
will eliminate some of this, so will a good clean stylus and record, also
some software such as sound forge (cant recommend it enough) have filters
remove noises such as this. but at the end of the day some of the hissing
and noises are what make vinyl so distinguishable and great!!!

regards,

- Serious Vinyl Junkie.

(if your system has a gain control, you may need to gain up the signal a
little as some older vinyl will come out a lot quieter than the newer
stuff)
if you have a lot of vinyl to do or plan on in the future, a simple cheap
DJ
mixer ($200NZD) with inbuilt EQ or even separate EQ will solve all your
problems)