Re: Vinyl to MP3

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Vinyl to MP3
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:20:30 BST

One more thing that you will need to make sure of is that the ripping
software you use will allow you to use the analogue line-in inputs as the
source for the encoder. - Not _ALL_ of them do, (but I think
"most" of them
do). - You will need to configure the encoder to use the analogue input, as
it will (obviously?) be set to use DAE (Digital Audio Extraction) from the
CD by default, which does not actually use (or even require the presence
of)
a sound card.

Worth checking....

Paul G.

>I believe you can get convertors that will convert phono -> line
level.

>I've one that does line -> phono but I think it'll also do the
reverse.

>Jeff.

Line in on
> > >the sound card ?
> >
> > You really need a preamp, the output level from a normal
turntable will
>be
> > low, and the frequency response is funny (RIAA-equalised is the
>technical
> > term for it!).
> >
> > There are still lots of stereo amplifiers around with phono
preamps
>built
> > in.  If you can't find one, you might have more success feeding
it into
> > mic input, and doing the RIAA equalisation with software (I have
a vague
> > memory of seeing software that could do that, somewhere, a few
years
> > ago...), but it will be more fiddly.
> >
> > As for actually turning them into MP3's, that depends on your OS-
I'll