RE: _Very_ soft start and slow fade for lights!

At 13:25 25/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
>If you could get hold of a 0-10v controlled dimmer you could have the
>control input to the dimmer connected to a large capacitor which was
slowl=
>charged or discharged via a variable resistor.

I had considered that, as it's _very_ close to what I need.  At one=20
extreme, I've seen the ZAX27 module that Maplin sell, and at the other end=
=20
I know of lots of multi-channel theatrical dimmers, are you aware of=20
anything in between- a single channel 'complete' 0-10V (or 5V, 1V etc)=20
module, at the 'under =A3100' end of the scale?

Ideally a boxed or DIN-rail mounted unit with fuse etc all built in,
with=20
10V and 0V out and a control input?  I'm hoping to keep the existing=20
mechanical timer (which currently just switches the lights on and off) and=
=20
use it to control the soft start/fade instead.

Do you know how much current the 0-10V analogue controllers usually draw
on=
=20
the control input?  I was wondering if the capacitor would have to be
too=20
big to be usable... and I've only ever used them in theatre lighting, when=
=20
control current wasn't an issue!

It's not for my use, just helping someone else out with a=20
not-entirely-ha-related problem, so Michael's solution using an HA=20
controller isn't really an option.  However, if I do find a=20
good/cheap/reliable (ha ha ha!) one, I might fit one to the bedroom lights=
=20
to make it feel like it's getting light when it's time to get up on
these=20
dark mornings :-)

Nigel

eLerts