Re: FW: The final reply RE: The demise of Maplin

At 21:41 20/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
> > of stock anyway. I know they will mail it "free of
charge" but you've

>Current policy is only if over 30 pounds or the spend in the shop
brings it
>up to 30 pounds otherwise 2.50 charge.

Oh BUM!  Right, that does it.  As they've also seen fit to discontinue what
looks like half their range of PIRs in the current catalogue (including the
one I've been buying- so they've sold more than single figures to _me_
_alone_ in the last year!), Maplin will now be my 'last minute only'
source, at which point I usually expect to be disappointed.

I wouldn't mind paying postage if there was an amazing stock in the shops,
but anything smaller or less common than a PP3 battery seems to need
ordered from Maplin Central.

I presume shops can still get it in free of charge, rather than posting it
(please tell me they aren't starting to charge the customer for that too?)

I love the comment about people not buying discrete components any more,
they might not be buying from Maplin, but that's probably because their
range has deteriorated so badly in the last couple of years!  Even
something minimal like a PIC needs a couple of extra components just to
make it tick, before it even thinks about doing something useful!

The saddest thing of all is that, apparently coinciding with the opening of
the Newcastle shop, the local electronics emporium (Aitken Bros) seemed to
transform into a 'disco equipment' shop, with a corresponding drop in stock
of electronic components, so now they can't even take the components trade
from Maplin...

Pah!  Fortunately I will soon find myself working close to the local RS
trade counter, who have an impressive record so far for keeping obscure
catalogue items in stock, even when you think there'd be no reason to!

Nigel

No bidding, no
guesswork.  Just
great fares at Hotwire.