Re: FW: The demise of Maplin

Well said Keith.

I used to work for Maplin, my first job when I left uni was as Technical
Sales in the Glasgow store.

I remember being quizzed on electronics knowledge every few weeks, when one
of the senior guys from Wombley would come up and put us through our paces.

The other day, when buying bits for modding my 110V Modules, I made the
mistake of asking for some help (I also find the newest catalog a bitch to
navigate, and I used to know the thing page by page back to front!)

"Hi, I need a 240V rated MOV"

>blank look

"a Metal Oxide Varistor"

>blank look

"It's for surge protection, a voltage dependant resistor?"

>"We do plugs with surge protectors built in"

"yeah, but I just need the component itself."

>"oh, I don't think we would do that..."

Grrrrrr.
Thing is, who is left? are Cirkit still trading? Bull Electrical was never
that great, and seems to be hawking everything under the sun these days...

Ian.

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"
http://click.egroups.com/1/9816/9/_/2065/_/971998243/