RE: RE: Cat 5 in 100m boxes / clipsal stuff

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: RE: Cat 5 in 100m boxes / clipsal stuff
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 00:00:10 +0100

Nick,

Ideally you want as many boxes as you have runs.
ie. If you are running 4 cables to a point then you really need 4 reels so
that you pull all 4 at once.

Do the longest runs first. The short pieces left at the end of the reels
will often do the shortest runs.

If you dont have 1 reel per run then a tip for avoiding wastage is to run
all the cable off a reel NOT RECOMMENDED WITH 1000 FEET OF CAT5 but OK for
100m reel of speaker cable. Double it up WITHOUT cutting it and take the
ends of the cable to the point you want to run too. At Node 0 or wherever
the common end of your cable runs is called you will have a fairly large
loop of cable. Cut at the required point and you have a single lenght of
cable left over with no wastage. For example if you had a 100m reel and the
run was 35m you would have a single piece 30m long whereas if you had cut
the contents of the reel into 2 x 50m lengths you would be left with 2 x
15m
lengths.

Likewise if you guessed 35m and ran off 40m just in case you would have 2 x
5m scraps.

Works for me :-)

You do need plenty of space to run the cable out neatly to avoid snagging
on
things and ideally 3 or more people for running the cables but you can
manage with 2.

If you do it entirely by yourself you end up running backwards and forwards
and taking 4 or 5 times as long :-(

Hope that helps

Keith

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/9/_/2065/_/971996511/