Re: FW: The demise of Maplin

Liked the bit about the "headstone" :-)

M.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Doxey" <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
To: "UKHA Discussion" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 7:43 PM
Subject: [ukha_d] FW: The demise of Maplin

> Hi All,
>
> This is a copy of a letter I have just sent to Maplin.
>
> I will post the reply should I ever receive one.
>
> Keith

catalogue
release
> > to see what additional components had been added to the ever
increasing
> > range.
> >
> > Recently however, my views have changed and I regret to say, not
for the
> > better. The latest catalogue is a complete shambles with minimum
space
> > given to what used to be Maplins core activity, namely the supply
of a
> > wide range of top quality electronic components at highly
competitive
> > prices.
> >
> > After failing to receive my trade copy of the latest catalogue I
rang to
> > enquire why it had not been sent. I was informed that I had not
spent
> > sufficient money during the life of the previous catalogue. I
pointed
out
> > that this was due in no small part to the components I wished to
order
> > being discontinued and that this had directly caused the loss of
orders
> > worth in excess of £500.
> >
> > A look at the latest catalogue will reveal that the entire
section
devoted
> > to components, cable and anything else that used to be Maplins
core
> > business is thinner than the first catalogue I received in 1978.
The
1978
> > catalogue is proclaimed on the Maplin website as being a
milestone in
> > Maplins history by being the first to be printed in colour. This
latest
> > catalogue could become a headstone in Maplins history if it
continues
down
> > the same route as Tandy by concentrating on ready made consumer
> > electronics which can be bought from numerous other retailers on
many
high
> > streets and retail parks.
> >
> > Moving to the website I have to say that I find it extremely
unfriendly
> > use. I personally don't want a website full of pretty pictures
until I
> > reach the product I want. I want to order components. Without
navigating
> > all the menu options I find this impossible. Trying to find a
common
> > component such as a 741 OpAmp I entered "741" in the
search box. This
> > returned ZERO results. The description for the component when
displayed
> > via the menus is "LM741CN" . Entering this as a search
criteria also
fails
> > to produce any results. Anyone who has a reasonable amount of
electronics
> > experience will know that a 5 volt voltage regulator will be some
> > variation of 7805, again entering 7805 produces nothing.
> >
> > I run a popular website dedicated to furthering the cause of Home
> > Automation in the UK. For the last 4 years I have had a page that
praises
> > the service offered by Maplin. I have recently been working on a
range
of
> > projects for other Home Automators to build and it was my
intention to
> > include the Maplin stock codes in the parts lists. I am no longer
able
> > do this having discovered that in the latest catalogue most of
the parts
> > had used are now discontinued. I will now be removing the
reference from
> > my page as I feel the service offered by Maplin is no longer
aimed at
the
> > true electronic hobbyist.
> >
> > Several of my friends also feel the same about the direction that
Maplin
> > is heading and are seeking alternative suppliers for the parts
they
need.
> > I sincerely hope that those with the power to make the decisions
realise
> > what they are doing to a company that was once the preferred
supplier
for
> > many individuals and companies. I hope that Maplin returns to
what it
did
> > best.
> >
> > I would be grateful if you could also pass my comments onto any
other
> > relevant people within the Maplin organisation.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Keith
> >
> > Keith Doxey
> > INDIGO ELECTRONICS
> >
> > World of DIY Home Automation
> > http://www.diyautomation.co.uk

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"
http://click.egroups.com/1/9816/9/_/2065/_/971983124/