Re: Cat 5 for power

At 00:27 19/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
>example low voltage external lighting (possibly switched by comfort),
>irrigation controlled with solenoids etc.

I'm using cat5 for all my stuff at present.  Longest run is probably from
the PC to the rear CCTV camera.  That's probably 25-30m, the power is
supplied about 15m from the camera, and both power and signal go through my
Krone IDC patching.

Officially the Krone connectors are current rated as "same as
connected
wires", so you don't have to worry about them separately.  There is
some
noise on the rear camera, but having done swaps that's just the camera, not
the cabling... even if it is connected to a shorter run or the supplied
cable.

I'm also using cat5 for power to relays (eg for central heating)- one of
those runs has a single 12V line driving 3 relays (CH pump, CH boiler,
Outside light), where the relays are (or are the same spec as) the DIN rail
relays on the Comfort site.

BTW, if you're using relays, I'd recommend those- DIN rail mounting keeps
it all nice and neat, and they have LEDs on them so you can see what is
happening without having to peer at the contacts, and also a 'test' button
to close the contacts manually.  I'll take some snaps of mine sometime...

Nigel

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"
http://click.egroups.com/1/9816/9/_/2065/_/971943175/