RE: 12v ring main

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: 12v ring main
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:10:21 +0100

I would echo Nigels comments regarding running individual feed rather than
ring main.

Apart from the increased flexibility of individual cables, you avoid a
single point of failure.
If you do experience problems with one device not liking a shared PSU you
can supply it independantly again using the cable you installed.

Also if you get something that requires a 24v DC power supply or a 16v AC
supply you can mount the power supply at the central point and still use
the
cable for feeding the remotely mounted device, that would not be possible
with a ring.

>From a safety point of view you can also fuse each circuit
individually. Low
voltage power supplies whilst safe from a voltage point of view can have
very high current capability. For example the 5v rail in a Pc is ofter
40Amps or more. If you derive a standby 12v supply from a car battery that
can realise current in excess of 300 amps.

Not wishing to be alarmist....just pointing out some important points to
bear in mind.

Keith

Dial 1-800-555-TELL -- You Won't Believe Your Ears!
For more details, click here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9537/9/_/2065/_/971878386/