Re: This Damn Country!

At 10:51 18/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Just had to pay UPS Import Duty on my parcel from smarthome in the
States.

>Does anyone know if you can appeal this stuff? I just had to pay =A322
dut=
y on
>goods worth =A326

Find out how much is the actual customs duty, and pay it.  I don't think
it=
=20
should be =A322, it's probably =A34.55 (17.5% of =A326).  From my
experienc=
e, the=20
rest will be their 'administration fee' or 'processing fee', though it's=20
not clear on the bills.  In the past (I think it was also UPS, but I can't=
=20
be sure), I've told them to take a running jump, and come back with a
'fair=
=20
and reasonable' charge.  IIRC, the result was =A30 + the VAT which was due.

If they don't 'play ball', Smarthome might be interested to hear about it,=
=20
if it's going to stop you ordering from them again.

UPS also quoted me a price of about =A33,500 to transport about 500kg of=20
goods from here to France, ever other company I tried (hauliers, agents,=20
delivery companies) came up with a figure of =A3500 or less for the same=20
speed of service, including insurance etc...  "Yes, it does sound like
a=20
lot, doesn't it", the nice UPS lady said...

If the whole fee _is_ taxes (and your local Customs and Excise office will=
=20
be able to help explain without dragging you off to the cells), then=20
there's no getting round it, but I've not yet hit any combination of
import=
=20
taxes that add up to > 85% of the value of the item... unless we've gone
to=
=20
war with the US in the last few days?

3 certainties in life- death, taxes, and that someone somewhere will be=20
trying to rip you off... but don't blame the country just yet!

Nigel

Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.  For more info visit:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9533/9/_/2065/_/971862978/