RE: Misunderstandings

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Misunderstandings
  • From: REB.Barnett@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:52:27 +0100

Nigel,

You may have upset people when you made a comment:

"That latter point, the motivation of the programmers, can also
improve
quality.  MS programmers seem to get their kicks from adding a few extra
Meg of 'Easter Eggs' with scrolling developers credits etc, Open Source
folk seem to take pride in reliable software, and well written
source."

I initially misread that as (paraphrased) "people who write Windows
programmes aren't interested in quality, only frivilous make it look nice
features". Not denying that there is plenty of that about, but as a
developer of Windows software I did take it a bit personally until I gave
myself a good slap and read your message properly.

I agree with the meeting up idea too. If we set a date reasonably far in
advance then (a) there's a chance I'll be able to make it; (b) I'll have a
reason to get off my arse and actually develop some of the ideas I've been
thinking about for the past year or so(!)

Ray Barnett.

> I have been contacted by email by one member of the group,
> who has misread
> my comments about OS's as a personal attack on folk who use Windows.

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"
http://click.egroups.com/1/9816/9/_/2065/_/971860066/