SDSL Trials from VNUNET

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: SDSL Trials from VNUNET
  • From: Calum Morrell <calum@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 22:22:32 +0100

Found this on vnunet.com and thought it may be of interest.

BT selects SDSL trial
participants

BT has chosen 25 companies to trial
symmetric
digital subscriber line (SDSL) technology, a
low-cost alternative to leased lines.

Ignite, BT's broadband data division,
advertised
for trialists in August. The trials are now
scheduled to take place in March next year.

SDSL is similar to asymmetrical DSL (ADSL).
However, unlike ADSL services, which provide
high-speed data downstream and a slower
upstream speed, SDSL allows the same rates
of
traffic in both directions. These speeds
will be
either 500Kb, 1Mb or 2Mb per second in BT's
trial.

According to BT, SDSL services are better
suited
to small and medium-sized businesses that
send
high volumes of data traffic or that want to
use
voice over IP for voice calls between
offices.
SDSL is seen as a cheaper alternative to
leased
lines and is aimed at businesses which want
use web hosting services.

BT will offer two types of service: BT
Datastream
Symmetric, which connects end users to BT's
broadband network; and BT Broadband
point-to-point private circuits, which
connect end
users to each other via BT's broadband
network.

Included among the 25 companies are
broadband
internet provider XO Communications
(formerly
known as Concentric) and ISP PlusNET. BT's
broadband ISP BTopenworld is also expected
participate in the trials, although this has
yet to
be confirmed. The other participants can
chose
whether or not to go public.

Axel Lagerborg, director of UK product
marketing
at XO, said: "We believe in seeking out the
most
appropriate technology solutions for
providing
high-quality broadband services. Our
involvement
in the SDSL trial will allow XO to fully
evaluate
how the technology can benefit our
customers."

BT said the trials, which were due to begin
in
December, are now expected to start in March
or
"possibly later". According to BT, the delay
is due
to one of its equipment suppliers, Fujitsu,
suffering supply chain problems.

With the delay to the trials, which will run
for
around three to four months, the planned
commercial offering date of mid-2001 is
almost
certainly to be much later.

» If you would like to comment on this
article email us @
newseditor@xxxxxxx

Well, that explains the crippling of ADSL. Basically they are going to
offer an almost identical service, charge a fortune and provide a
benefit that they purposefully blocked from ADSL.

Calum

To the bigot from the list that sent 'that' email to my address using an
anonymous mailer, my friends are tracking your trail.
Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.  For more info visit:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9533/9/_/2065/_/971817929/

begin:vcard
n:Morrell;Calum
tel;cell:+44 (0)709 214 1538