RE: ADSL Installation Update

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: ADSL Installation Update
  • From: "Doug Hendry" <doug_hendry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:20:45 +0200

Have been reading the recent posts on high speed internet connections and
thought I would share this with you. I am currently visiting Houston, Texas
on business. The hotel I am staying in (A Residence Inn) has an in-room
High
Speed 24/7 Internet access service. There is a small box on the desk and
you
are supplied with network cables, USB cables and a CD-ROM for drivers (if
needed for USB).

I plugged the Ethernet cable into my PCMCIA network card on my notebook and
suddenly I was online ! It was as easy as that.

Using the speed test site used by others I got the following (from West
Coast):-
Your download speed : 457631 bps, or 457 kbps.
Browsers would show : about a 55.8 k/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 506842 bps, or 506 kbps

Now that just has to be the easiest, most painless and most useful computer
accessory I have ever found !

Going back home to Kent (no ADSL, no Cable, just plain old analogue dial
up)
is going to be a painful experience. When will we in the UK will ever catch
up ? Now where do you find all those mp3 files ..........!

Doug