RE: Re-inventing the wheel...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Re-inventing the wheel...
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:20:17 +0100

At 13:22 16/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
>When you say Win 2000 is supposed to be more stable, more stable than
what?

Win 9x, which is what most folk use at home (IME).  I realise NT is more
reliable, but needs thinking about a little bit more to set up well
(similar to linux, from talking to folk who use both).  Also a bit more
expensive- how much is Win2k, BTW?

> My NT Workstation here gets a real bashing, and has crashed 2 or 3
times in
>the past year (dodgy video card driver) of 9-5 working.

I presume you mean that it's on 24-7, but only has someone sitting at it
9-5?  This machine (Win 98) is on from Monday morning to Friday afternoon,
and usually needs at least one reboot during the week when it crashes,
sometimes several.  'My' linux webserver just runs, recording attempted
hacks/cracks and serving web pages, doing seti@home processing and various
other more intensive activities.  It's been down once, when a cracker got
too close for comfort and we installed some overdue security updates...

It's a shame to hear Mark's comment about folk 'planning to' do Linux stuff
but never getting round to it- from my experience, when I want to do
something new,  a quick hunt on http://freshmeat.net usually turns up
someone else who has already done it, though for some things (scheduling
processes to start automatically etc), it's already built in, and just
needs a couple of lines added on a text file.  The whole nature of Unix is
to automate repetitive tasks, which is so close to the requirements for
home automation that I think it fits particularly nicely.

The motion detecting software that Stuart mentioned was a prime example- I
had it running within an hour that evening, and added masking etc the
following evening.

I'm not aware of other Linux users who 'just dream'- it probably wouldn't
have become as successful as it is if folk didn't actually do something
about it.

Nigel

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9530/9/_/2065/_/971702449/