RE: Re-inventing the wheel...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Re-inventing the wheel...
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:58:44 +0100

At 12:52 16/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Better IMHO to be supplied with some wheels in the first place (albeit
they
>need pumping up occasionally), than be supplied with a box containing
>compost, some rubber plant seeds, and a FAQ.

You owe it to yourself to look at a modern linux distribution- it's come on
a long way since RedHat 4.0 (and even since 5.1, only a year or so back),
despite what MS might try to tell you (unless you choose slackware, not
recommended as a first attempt)!  But you will still gain from reading a
good book about it, just like anything else (Windows included).

I'm using RedHat 6.2, nice graphic installer, all my hardware was
auto-detected, into XWindows with minimum of fuss, and it just keeps
running... but as usual, if folk are happy with everything they can do with
Windows, then there's no need to change!

Personally, if I'm going to use it for HA stuff, Windows loses immediately
(I've not had the opportunity to investigate rumours that Win2000 is more
stable than previous offerings, anyone in a position to comment?)- all I'm
reliant on it for is using Ami Pro to print address labels for my Christmas
cards- not sure if I'll get that moved over to StarOffice in time for
Christmas!

Nigel

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Click here and you can even personalize these quotes.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9536/9/_/2065/_/971697545/