RE: Silent Phones

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Silent Phones
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:56:09 +0100

There is one other way of stopping the ring but again that wont work with 2
wire phones only proper 3 wire phones.

If you short 3&5 together you will shunt all the bells and stop them
ringing. Unfortunately you will also have a severe effect on the audio
level
on the line whereas my diagram wont.

If you put a large enough capacitor across the line to shunt the ring it
would have a VERY low impedance at the frequencies where the 9600 baud dat
is and would kill that stone dead. It would also probably draw enough
current from the exchange whilst ringing that it would ring trip the call
just as if you had lifted and dropped the receiver.

Keith

No bidding, no
guesswork.  Just
great fares at Hotwire.