RE: Silent Phones

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Silent Phones
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:29:44 BST

>From memory...

The Homeseer Phone (HSP) box is a 3-way switch between the incoming line,
the internal phones, and a voicemodem connected to the Homeseer PC. In
normal use use all 3 are connected, so that when a call comes in, both the
internal phones AND the modem see the call... - this is where the ring
suppression is useful, the first 2 rings can be prevented from reaching the
internal phones, so that the CLID data can be retrieved by the modem and
processed by HSP and the call manged accordingly, which may include ringing
the phones. Beyond 2 rings, if the modem doesn't answer the call, then the
internal phones ring anyway.
This way, you could have an incoming call that is announced over the house
speakers before the ringing starts, then as soon as the announcement is
spoken, the phones start ringing.

The modem can be set to just monitor the line for CLID, OR to answer the
call. If the modem answers the call the incoming line is switched to the
modem, and the house phones are then disconnected from the line.
However, the house phones can be forcibly reconnected to the outside line
by
picking up any internal handset and pressing "#"

Internal calls are handled similarly to Comfort, - pick up an internal
phone
and you are connected to the outside line. Press "*#" within
(IIRC) 5
seconds, and the switch connects the internal phones to the voicemodem,
disconnecting them from the outside line. (again, press "#" at
any time will
always force the handset to seize the outside line). Once the internal
phones are connected to the voicemodem, you can use VR or DTMF to control
the HomeSeer software.

I'm led to believe the the HSP box is also able to recognise a hook flash..

I don't know the exact mechanism the box uses to supress the first 2 rings,
but It has been stated by Rich Helmke that "some phones may emit a
very
short ring as the first ring is being detected."

Cheers.

Paul G.