RE: DIY dimming (not X10)

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: DIY dimming (not X10)
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:09:45 +0100

Analogue 0-10V is an old control standard used in stage lighting.

all modern stage lighting kit is DMX512 (Digital Multiplex)

Digital is the way to go because the triac only has 2 states....ON and OFF.

Digital control is easy to implement. You need to create a counter that
counts from 100-0 syncronised to the crossing of the mains cycle. Pass a
value between 0 and 100% for the light level you require. Compare the two
and when COUNTER => SetLevel then turn the triac on. One PIC chip can
easily
accomplish this.

My description is over simplified and doesnt take into account the non
linear characteristics of light output from different types of light.

John Tankard has built his own lighting system in the way described above
and I am sure he will add more to this thread.

Keith

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9530/9/_/2065/_/971262625/