bearbox

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: bearbox
  • From: Calum Morrell <calum@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 00:01:35 +0100

I came across this thing called a bearbox in the financial times at the
weekend, and I've just had a chance to check out their web site.

http://www.bearbox.com

Essentially it's a 'secure' box with a doors, locks & keypad's.
Designed
to sit outside your house the intention is to ensure deliveries to you
succeed first time even when you're out. i.e. you set access for the
delivery man to place the item in the box, with the prospect of the item
remaining in the box until you return [I assume also that the box should
remain outside you're property until you return ;-)].

Each delivery gets a unique code, and you are alerted when it takes
place, you can also use this to allow for pickups.

Apparently it's linked in to the bearbox management centre for security
- WARNING *** subscription alert ***

DOWNSIDES
These are MY opinions, and remember that I have never seen or used one!
- It's going to be a prime target for vandals. A big grey techy box by
your front door.
- Only one compartment [nb this is what the photo's show]. If I was
expecting multiple pickups or deliveries on the one day, I don't really
want the person delivering the dry cleaning to take an interest in the
case of wine that's already in there!
- It looks like deliveries and pickups have to be arranged with bearbox.
This may be an advantage, personally I feel it's just one more link in
the chain.
- That potential management fee. Do you think they will administer it
for free? It's linux you know ;-)
- It's powered by a solar panel. I live in Scotland, so unless it's
highly efficient deliveries during the autumn only.
- With all the wonderful technology utilized for other users, the owner
has a standard key to open it, can anyone say 'lock pick'. Why don't
companies ever learn? A finger print reader is more secure than a key
and cost very little, a retina scanner would cost a great deal [around
£1500] but would be SECURE.

Their plans for the future partially address some of my complaints, such
as the ability to have one built in to the house and refrigerated
versions. And of course this is a first version product, I'm very
interested in this type of product and plan to contact them with my
thoughts [when I'm a little calmer over the key versus biotechnology
security route they've chosen].

They claim that in a few years we won't know how we ever lived without
one, and if implemented correctly and with good marketing, I'm inclined
to agree. I'm fed up with delivery men leaving hundreds of pounds worth
of equipment in an unsecured greenhouse in my garden!

Anyone still reading this? Why? Go check out their site, it doesn't rant
as much as me.

Calum

I am calm. Flowers growing in a field with cows grazing. Bit streams
flowing through rivers of atm fib op cabling. Gentle lullaby of
Sepultura floating in the background - I warned you to stop reading
this!
as low as 0.0% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing APR and no annual fee!
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9331/9/_/2065/_/971218956/

begin:vcard
n:Morrell;Calum