RE: Lutron

> Has anyone here used Lutron products? Is the whole
> house lighting system prohibitively expensive as
> everyone seems to go the X10 route?

I've gone with Lutron for my Lounge / Home Cinema.  Not that I've actually
bought the unit yet, but I have bought a Lutron wall box, and just finished
installing it along with all the lights.  The Grafik Eye 3000 Series allows
diming of 2, 4 or 6 zones, and can interface with other Lutron systems.
You
can download PDF Installer Guides that'll show you exactly what they can do
and how they work.

The box I installed in the wall to take the main unit is very large, and
very deep.  I spent the first 2 weeks in my new (1980's) house, with a
12"
grinder, hacking walls out to take all sorts of cables.  Very frightning
stuff but now its all down.  I've got 4 temporary dimmer switches on the
wall, ready to be replaced by a shinny Lutron system.

At 500ukp each, the other rooms can wait!!

> Can the Lutron system communicate with something
> like Homevision? Is it possible to map switches in
> a switchplate to control thigs such as curtains?

I'm new to X10, etc, but I think you can definitely interface Lutron to
other
systems.  I'm not sure that I would though.  I'm looking at the swish
curtains, and intend to control Lutron, Curtains and everything else from a
good learning remote.  Pronto is on my list, but I'm not sure if I'll wait
for the new ones.

> If I go the X10 route I figure I need about 8 consumer
> units worth of DIN modules which will take up a good
> chunk of the proposed wiring closet! I also have a
> problem with current X10 lamp modules and wall switches
> in that the fuse tends to blow when a buld goes. Is this
> normal and are there any cures? All wiring is a couple
> of years old, is massively overspecced and has ELCBs.

All Lutron needs is mains to the main unit, and then will feed live to each
of your lighting zones.  I think the max load, un-interfaces is about
800-1200W

Rob
--
/ ___   / /  /  / __    / _____ HOME: chas@xxxxxxx

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Click here for the scoop:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9531/9/_/2065/_/971183108/