RE: Just got some info from BT re ADSL

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Just got some info from BT re ADSL
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <mail@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 00:59:10 +0100

B.T
> engineers, they all use exactly the same ADSL modems as BT, (IE 1 USB
> version, or 1 Ethernet version), and I would therefore assume ALL
> have to be
> subject to exactly the same restrictions as mentioned by BT Openworld
in
> their replies to my questions (IE no Netmeeting, no H.323, no
> hosting etc.).
> Oh, and they cost at least as much as BT Openworld, and in most
> cases cost
> more!
>
> I think I'll wait until after Jan 1 2001.
>
> Paul G.

You've assumed wrong. Configuration at the server end, plus the services
offered at the portal, in terms of high bandwidth offerings is what
differentiates the service offerings. There are ISPs out there that will
offer you a fixed IP, plus unlimited, unfiltered IP traffic. In those cases
it is imperitive that you install a software firewall, or you could end up
getting screwed!

In most cases they are more expensive than the BT offering, but you get
what
you pay for. Wait a couple of years and wireless services will be
available.
Permanent connection in the 4Mbit range, symmetrical, and portable too!

Tim.

Dial 1-800-555-TELL -- You Won't Believe Your Ears!
For more details, click here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9537/9/_/2065/_/971135996/