RE: Fwd: [misterhouse-users] New functionality

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Fwd: [misterhouse-users] New functionality
  • From: "Dan Hoehnen" <dhoehnen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 15:05:00 -0400

First, I think this is a great idea.  I have several FRS radios (may not be
available outside the US, but similar radios should be usable) and will
probably try it out.

But, there is one BIG problem with this.  ANYONE with a FRS radio can talk
to your house.  There are only 14 channels, and some radios have a
"scan"
feature so you can easily find channels in use.  Since the range is up to 2
miles, someone could "play" with your house and you would never
be able to
find them.

Some radios also have 36 quiet codes.  When this feature is enabled, the
receiving unit does not un-squelch unless it first hears the correct quiet
code.  This would help, but still is not much more secure.

Some FRS radios actually scramble the voice so noone can listen in.  Maybe
this is the correct approach?  But, what I don't know is can anyone with a
similar radio unscramble the signal?

Even with scambling though, the VR engine might hear something it
"thought"
was a valid command and go ahead and execute it.

Any idea on how to make this more secure?

Dan

 (I
> >would imagine the Motorola or Cobra s with voice activation would
also
> >work with the functionality described below).  I connected the
> speaker out
> >on the FRS unit to the MIC in on the computer s sound card.  Then
> >connected the computer s speaker out to the FRS unit MIC in
> port.  I next
> >activated the FRS unit s voice activation mode.  I then created
> a new user
> >profile on MS Voice.  Using the second FRS radio as a transmitter,
> >balanced the sound and went through a brief MS Voice training
session.

> >I can now be anywhere within 1-2 miles of the house, press the
> talk button
> >then speak MH commands into the FRS transmitter, release the talk
button
> >and hear MH respond back with confirmations in the voice I have
> chosen (I
> >use Mary does anyone know where you can download additional voices
> >compatible with MS Voice?  HAL would be cool J).  It s not quite
my
> >whole-house wireless voice response system envisioned, but the
> concept is
> >the same.  Yes, you do have to carry/wear this very small
> walkie-talkie at
> >your waist while you are at home, but heck, we all have numerous
X10
> >remotes that we have to pick up around everywhere anyway, right?
Not to
> >mention the FRS radios are a required must-have gadget anyway.  I
simply
> >unhook the two alligator clips, install some batteries, and use
the FRS
> >radios for what they were designed to do when I need them.  I ve
> put away
> >all my X10 remotes (except for the ones my wife needs to run the
lights)
> >and use the FRS transmitter when MH control is required.  No more
> >memorizing which X10 remote button controls what
light/device/macro!  By
> >the way, does anyone know how to switch a MS Voice profile by
> voice command?
> >
> >Of course all the MH scripts work as expected.  I ve now gone
> through two
> >training sessions and MS Voice only misses 1-2 commands per 100
spoken
> >when using the FRS radio transmitter/receiver.  I ve found that
> even in a
> >semi-noisy room the MIC s in the Audiovox s filter out much of the
> >background noise to achieve a very high VR %.  I also purchased
one of
> >those CIA ear-bud with a built-in lapel MIC ($14.99) and turned
> on the FRS
> >radio voice activation mode.  You can t just speak normally with
> your head
> >straight forward, but by leaning your head over to the side and
speaking
> >directly into the lapel MIC you will activate the FRS voice
activation,
> >can speak your command, and hear your response in the ear bud.
> Of course
> >you could wear one of this ear-speaker units with the built in
> boom-MIC to
> >avoid leaning your head to the side, but who wants to be seen
around the
> >house wearing one of those?.
> >
> >There are three problems using the ear-bud/lapel MIC solution.
> First, the
> >first word you speak will activate the voice activation and will
NOT be
> >transmitted to the other receiver.  So, if your MH command is
> >($v_AllInside_light  = new Voice_Cmd("{Turn the,set the,turn
all the, }
> >Inside {light,lights} [on,off]");), you must transmit
Computer, turn all

>                                   \_)  (_/

Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Access Tellme from any phone.  For more info visit:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9534/9/_/2065/_/971118245/