RE: Just got some info from BT re ADSL

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Just got some info from BT re ADSL
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 10:49:16 BST

>   >>from an external computer.  The exchange router acts like a
>   >firewall and
>   >>will prevent the external computer form being able to read
your
>   >computers
>   >>IP address

>How CRAP is this!! I can't believe it.

I have to agree. - I suppose we should not be surprised with this coming
from BT - I think they nust have a whole department of people who's sole
function is to think of ways to **ck up their service offerings.

>   >>It would be unreasonable to expect a connection to stay
active and
>connected permanently to
>   >>give the effect of a static IP.
>

>And here's me thinking that was exactly what you bought ADSL for.  This
is
>an incredible statement to make about an "always on" service.
>
>I'm getting depressed about this whole thing now.  Losing my FS
account,
>ADSL (even if I could get it in y area sometime in the future) is
>unworkable.

I think there is now almost no chance whatsoever that I'm going to be
taking
this up. I expect I will stick with my Highway line for a bit longer. - At
least until there is some real competition for ADSL services, and hopefully
the stupid petty resrictions have gone away.

AAARRRGGHHH -  it'a always "jam tomorrow" with BT isn't it!

>This is supposed to be progress?

No, this is BT, they don't "do" progress, they do "screw as
much money out
of the poor saps for as little service as we can possibly get away with,
whilst at the same time making ourselves out to be gods gift to the british
public, who should be greatfull for the privellige anyway"

(perhaps that should become BT's mission statement?)

Paul G.

PS: I still have an ongoing Q & A session with the BT Openworld support
people, to try to get them to reiterate some key facts in very precise
unambiguous terms. I'll post whatever answers I get.