Just got some info from BT re ADSL

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Just got some info from BT re ADSL
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 23:05:55 BST

Chaps, (and ladies?)

I've just received this reply from BT Openworld regarding some of the
questions that have been flying round the list recently about their ADSL.

Their helpdesk has edited out my original questions, and only sent me the
replies, - they were numbered points. However, I think you can pretty
easily
work out what my questions were from the answers!

If I correctly understand what they are telling me, it suggests that there
is no way on earth a webserver can be hosted at the home end (see answer
#1). If this is true, then they can forget it, what good is having my house
on the end of a fast, always-on web link, if it is crippled down to one-way
operation - IE only works to access the outside world from the house, but
not the other way as well!!

B.T. ..... TOSSERS more like!

Paul G.

>Dear Mr Gordon,
>
>Thank you for your enquiry.
>

>1.The ADSL connection works by using Dynamically assigned IP addresses
when
>you connect and then when the connection reaches the router at the
>exchange, the connection is then assigned a Virtual IP address by the
>exchange router.  This is the reason why you cannot access your
computer
>from an external computer.  The exchange router acts like a firewall
and
>will prevent the external computer form being able to read your
computers
>IP address
>
>2. BT are unable to offer static IP addresses as there is a world
shortage
>of them.  There are plans to develop a new system that will allow
static
>IP's to be available to all.  As yet we have no further details.  ADSL
IS
>"always on", but there is a brief connection (logon)
procedure during which