Re: KAT5 FAQ Online WAS Newbie Questions

Keith

Thanks for the response afraid I can't help with you with a donation
although the way prices are dropping they are becoming more affordable
and they are great fun  especially with a DV card on the PC.

The main limitation is 4.5M between devices(or repeaters) I have
looked around for something that will boost the distance but no joy so
far. It is only 6 wires so should be amenable to some sort of
boosting. Two of the wires only carry power which isn't strictly
necessary but I think it may mean some devices won't communicate
without it...on second thoughts my PC to Cam cable only has 3 contacts
plus the casing at the PC end and it is the power that has gone.

Maybe I should dig out some speaker wire and do some tests ;) only
kidding ;)

Oh well off to search for a solution.

Oh one last question does anyone know any details on the fibrechannel
connection for disc drives? I have a been given a couple but as far as
I can figure they really only operate on high end server systems such
as SUN and I want to connect them to my PC....Nothing to do with HA
but there ya go ;)

Mick

I guess On Sat, 7 Oct 2000 20:44:32 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi Mick,
>
>Firewire will indeed become a defacto standard for home AV distribution
and
>that it was it has been designed for. This means that just like USB you
will
>be able to by mass produced products for very little money.
>
>For that reason alone, it is not worth me trying to develop anything
for
>Firewire, also to develop something you have to be able to test it and
>dont have any Firewire kit. Of course, if someone were to donate a
digital
>camcorder for me to play with then it might be different :-)
>
>Keith

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!
1.  Fill in the brief application
2.  Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9334/9/_/2065/_/970953427/