RE: ADSL - nearly here!!

At 13:42 02/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
>It is bizarre, isn't it?
>
>From: Ian Lowe [mailto:ian@xxxxxxx]
>It takes a while to drop into the BT mindset. I am too used to trying
>to make things work well, rather than breaking stuff by design!!

I suspect that the difference is that most folk are designing systems for
paying customers, who specify what they need and use it.  BT are working
against a few million customers, probably 10% of whom are prepared to
defraud BT given half a chance (anything from finding a loophole to running
servers when they aren't allowed to to going on the Light User Scheme when
they are using an indirect access phone supplier).  I see it as fortunate
for the rest of us that BT do try to keep a rein on these things, but
sometimes, IMO, they do go a bit far.

For most folk, they either just need a few pages, so they go on their ISPs
site, or they need a lot of control over the site (to run CGIs etc) so they
colocate or have their own site.  Unfortunately, for the HAer, there might
only be one page necessary on the home site, but it has to be very up to
date, that's a bit of an unusual situation...

The BT ban on servers _might_ have a benefit of reducing external attacks,
but it depends how they implement it.  For anyone running Windows, or any
other OS without current security patches, that _would_ be a good thing.  I
currently get about 1 logged suspected crack attempt at work every couple
of days, on a low profile server (ie not well indexed on search engines,
basically only used by a small group of people).

Fortunately, once the market stabilises, some other suppliers will probably
come along and fill in the gaps!

Nigel

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.
http://click.egroups.com/1/9530/9/_/2065/_/970559378/