RE: ADSL - nearly here!!

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: ADSL - nearly here!!
  • From: "Brown, Andy [Infrastructure]" <andyb@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 12:07:26 +0100

Take a look at http://www.adsluk.org.uk they have a
very informative mail
list in which people with BTOW and other various ISPs contribute.

>From what I've determined - BT ARE sufficiently brain damaged to
warrant
using another ISP.  I signed up to OpenWorld back in May and STILL haven't
had the email saying they're ready.

On the experiences detailed by one guy on the mail list, I signed some
paper
work with Nildram who quoted me a 10 day turn-around on receipt of the
signed docs.  On asking how they can get it installed more efficiently than
BT their response was BT openWorld requires the co-ordination between BT's
sparks and the ISP, which are two separate entities.  They are doing a
pretty duff job of talking to each other, hence the massive delays.  I
heard
someone quote an OpenWorld rep who said "Oh - BT haven't update the
spread
sheet for your account yet".  So that's a 100,000 user subscriptions
held in
a spreadsheet?! (that last bit may not be true, but its somehow
believable!).

There's quite a lot of mystery around the BTOW implementation at the ISP
end.  No-one seems to fully understand if the USB version is NAT or
non-NAT.
If non-NAT the rumours are that it uses DHCP with a 30 minute lease!

Nildram, however, confirmed that the USB version is fixed IP.  I intend to
use Win2k's NAT at my end to share access for my other boxes.

When I get sorted, I'll report back with do's / don'ts.

Andy