RE: OT: Cheaper than usual 15" LCD

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: OT: Cheaper than usual 15" LCD
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 00:39:52 BST

But surely the refresh rate for an LCD is pretty much irrelevant? - each
pixel is individually driven, - there is no raster scan involved, and the
refresh rate that is used as a measure for comparison of displays is the
refresh rate for a full raster field (IE one half of an interlaced frame)?
-
On an LCD, the entire display is drawn concurrently, not progressively. I
believe the problems referred to with fast motion blurring on LCD displays
is not "refresh rate" in the traditional sense, but more the
switching speed
of the individual transistors that drive each pixel? - Obviously I'm only
referring to TFT's here, not the older passive matrix displays which were
even worse in this respect...

Most 15" LCD's I have come across are all 1024x768 native resolution -
IE
that's the actual number of pixels that are built into the screen, and
whilst I have never even heard of one that can display higher resolution (I
fail to understand how that could be possible?) - I have seen plenty set to
lower resolutions, and without exception, they all look total pants. -
LCD's
only look any good when set to the actual resolution that the panel is
constructed with - anyhting else looks worse than the nastiest el-cheapo
screen you have ever seen!

£0.02

Paul G.