HOWTO: Graphs

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: HOWTO: Graphs
  • From: "Stuart Grimshaw" <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:00:47 +0100

The data behind the graphs is collected using a peice of software called
"Cricket" from either :

http://www.munitions.com/~jra/cricket
or
http://www.sourceforge.net/ and
search for "cricket"

You'll need to download some other software too, but links to all you need
are given on the site.

It's designed for Linux, using Perl, and is fairly straightforward to set
up. If you follow the instructions in "begginers.txt" you won't
go far
wrong.

While it designed for Linux, people on the mailing list have recently
reported success with NT too. It's written in Perl, so it should run
without
too much modification.

If you have any problems, join the mailing list. The guys on there are
excellent and really now their stuff. Along with UKHA, the Cricket mailing
list is the only other list where everyone is _always_ friendly, and
respond
to stupid questions with sensible answers. If you feel it's a simple
question, you can mail me and I'll try to help.

To measure the temperature I use an old discontinued peice of software
called "Digitemp" which is now released under the GPL. I use this
because
it's the only one that would work with my adaptor (DS9097E) The latest
version of Digitemp uses the newer DS9097U, but is not free. There are
plenty of other examples that use the 9097U in many flavours, C, VB, Perl
name a few.

A bit of jiggery pokery with unix symbolic links and a cron'd script
creates
the blue images you see on the web site. How well this would work on NT I
don't know. Another cron'd script a few minutes later uploads the images to
the site (along with downloading my mail and other stuff too.

I'm going to update my site this weekend to reflect the changes I've made
recently.

http://www.stubbynet.org.uk/homeautomation

Good friends, school spirit, hair-dos you'd like to forget.
Classmates.com has them all. And with 4.4 million alumni already
registered, there's a good chance you'll find your friends here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2622/5/_/2065/_/954502221/

-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ukha_d/?m=1