ibutton door access control

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: ibutton door access control
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:12:02 GMT

In all this whizzy stuff about about ibutton door access control, has
anybody stopped to think about the obvious (to me anyway) problem with this
whole scenario, which is namely: how much more likely is it that you'd
"lose" your keys, rather than have someone steal them in an
effort to get
into your house?

How exactly does having a flashy, secure, personalised ibutton improve upon
this situation? - it's still a "thing" that you have to carry
around with
you, and if you leave the house in the morning and forget to take it with
you (can happen!) - you're stuffed! - If you "lose" your key at
work, or
lock it in your car, you're stuffed - you're standing at your front door,
with no ibutton, and no way of gaining access to your own house!

In my view, the ONLY way forward for conditional access control has got to
be based on one of the various biometric recognition technologies.
Currently
I am aware of reliable recognition based on fingerprint scanning,
Iris/retina scanning, voice recognition, and face recognition. I have seen
all except the iris/retina recognition techniques in use, (which I've seen
on TV), and I have played with fingerprint and face recognition hardware
&
software. Both of these use cheap commodity components (Compaq's
fingerprint
scanner costs £75, and face recognition works with just about any webcam),
and I reckon either of these would be ideally suited to a domestic
environment, and _very_ affordable. - It just needs someone to provide the
"glue" between these existing access control systems (which are
designed for
access control to PC's - logon based on your face), and a HA system - a
device driver between your PC and your front door if you like!

Now, how are you going to ever "forget" to come home with your
face!??

(OK, I've been "off my face" on a few Friday nights, but that's
exactly when
I tend to have a very hard time opening my front door the traditional
way!!)

Paul G.

Good friends, school spirit, hair-dos you'd like to forget.
Classmates.com has them all. And with 4.4 million alumni already
registered, there's a good chance you'll find your friends here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2622/5/_/2065/_/954497535/

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1