Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 5:25 PM
Subject: [ukha_d] Sensing stuff

Now I have this 1-Wire stuff up and
running, I've been thinking about what I
can try and detect with it...here's what I've come up with so far, all
these
should, in theory, be possible with the 1-wire lan and various 1-wire
devices :-

1) Temperature, obviously.
2) Doors/windows open/closed.
3) Things being stolen, ie when they are no longer on the lan.
4) Light levels, for curtains & lights.
5) Low water in my hamster Bob's bottle.

One thing I've just thaught of as I'm writing this, what about smell? My
feet stink and I don't realise as soon as others might, what if I could
detect my feet stinking and alert myself!! :-)

What other stuff could you monitor? You can detect the presence of, say a
TV
or Stereo by attatching an iButton to it, and a recepticle to that, then
when the TV gets pilphered by some scrote, the Lan can detect it.
Similarly,
you can add a reed switch to a digital ID chip and when that goes, the
window/door is open.

Every night when I come home, I struggle with our door lock, it's a right
pain and can often take up to a full minute to get into my house!! Now
rather than just go for a lo-tech replace the lock option, what I really
want to do is create a door entry system with the iButtons. Being me I
think
that this is just as secure as having a key, in fact maybe more so, because
keys can be copied, iButtons cannot. Perhaps you could get the number of
the
iButton, and write software to duplicate the iButton's serial number on a
laptop, but then the value of what he was taking into the house would be
more than what he took out, and he'd be better off just smashing the window
:-)

However, the missus doesn't agree, and thinks it's just going to leave the
door open to every Tom Dick and Harry, complete with flashing "Rob Me"
sign.

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d