Re: Cable terminations

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cable terminations
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:10:21 +0100

At 11:13 26/03/00 +0100, you wrote:

>there is a tendency from folk to "just connect it to see if it
works2
>and then leave it that way until it needs changing.

Horrible, isn't it!  I've _tried_ to stay disciplined in mine, but there
are a couple of 'temporary' wires which will probably get gradually
untidier...

>Is there a structured wiring method whereby all cables of what ever
type
>go into a central joint box, and get labelled up, then go off to
>Homevision, comfort , amplifiers or whatever?

I've got all the low voltage stuff coming in to a couple of 301A (now you
know the jargon, you can probably find what 301 means!) boxes, each one
roughly halved.  So I've got 4 'areas' of connections, 1 for security, 1
for HA (in the same box, so Comfort can get to all of them!), and the other
split between A/V and telephones.

That's fine for small cables, but T&E isn't so easy!  I've currently
connected up my 'temporary' (that word again!) amplifier connections using
pluggable terminal strip from Maplins.  It's like normal electrical
terminal block, but it comes in 2 parts so you can separate the 2 sides.
So there is a long strip fed from the amplifier, and each distant speaker
comes in on it's own 2-pin connection.  That makes it easy to swap things
round as I add bits or for testing.

How many T&E cables do you have, and what are they used for?  The other
neat way (but more permanent!) of terminating them is to use a section of
DIN rail and then clip on the DIN rail modules that you need- they come in
all varieties, with multiple commoned terminals, disconnectable terminals
etc etc.  Any big electrical supplier will have them- look in RS or Farnell
catalogues if you want to see a pretty complete range of what's available.

We used to use DIN rail terminals for big sound installations, they're
usable but not ideal for small wires (mic and other signal connections),
but great for bigger stuff (speakers etc).

I would use them myself, but it's all just 'temporary' at the minute ....
:-)

Nigel

Good friends, school spirit, hair-dos you'd like to forget.
Classmates.com has them all. And with 4.4 million alumni already
registered, there's a good chance you'll find your friends here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2622/5/_/2065/_/954144623/

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications