Re: Freenetname customers ADSL trial

> BT will be providing the copper, but the service will be provided by
FNN,
> in
> terms of the additional content available. Even though the link is
512k
> (or
> higher) between you and the ISP, congestion elsewhere in the net will
> reduce
> the effective bandwidth between you and the content providers. That is
why
> not all ADSL offerings will be the same. The quality of locally
available
> content will be more important than say an ISP's homepage is at the
> moment.

Yes, sorry I wasn't being overly clear in what I meant by
'service'.  Indeed, individual SPs will be able to provide differentiated
value-added content and IP/net offerings, but the fundamental service
connecting your PC and the ISP, goes through the ADSL modem, through the
NT2k, traverses BT's copper, into a BT mux, across BT's SDH network, and
over the core network, until it is presented at the ISP end, at which point
the ISP has the opportunity to provide a differentiated service.  However,
there are a limited number of 'services' BT is offering, such as IPStream,
DataStream and VideoStream.  It is these services, which, for instance,
define the access and core contention ratios as well as bandwidth and delay
(particularly for VideoStream users).
I'd be very interested to know exactly what the differentiated
service offerings are from the various ISPs that are offering ADSL,
presumably their market differentiation will not be on content, but rather
on their perceived role in the market-place ? (niche-players and all that)
Dunno, any suggestions?
Further details of the BT services can be found in SINs, for those
that are interested (they're not really) :
http://www.sinet.bt.com/

> Yes, but FNN are offering a trial of their flavour of ADSL - for those
of
> us
> who are thinking about dipping a toe in the water, this is a way of
> getting
> ADSL free for three months to see if it is worth taking it on a
> subscription
> basis.

As far as taking up the FreeNetName offer, particularly when free,
I can only suggest that it's a great opportunity (I'm very pro-ADSL
rollout), but be warned, once you get all that bandwidth, you're unlikely
want to relinquish the service ! I'd love to, but know that my local
exchange won't have a mux for quite a while yet.

James

http://click.egroups.com/1/2377/3/_/2065/_/953215176/

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying