Re: Freenetname customers ADSL trial

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Freenetname customers ADSL trial
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <message@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 12:24:41 -0000

>   Bear in mind that, from my casual glance at the subject, this is
> FreeNetName simply acting as a Service Provider from BT.
> Therefore, the key
> to whether you can get this service, from a geographical and reach
> point-of-view, is down to BT exchange-based presence, and your copper
> quality and distance from the exchange.  Also, the service options
> available, I assume, will be that offered by BT (see their website).

BT will be providing the copper, but the service will be provided by FNN,
in
terms of the additional content available. Even though the link is 512k (or
higher) between you and the ISP, congestion elsewhere in the net will
reduce
the effective bandwidth between you and the content providers. That is why
not all ADSL offerings will be the same. The quality of locally available
content will be more important than say an ISP's homepage is at the moment.

>   The BT service, due to launch, April 1st, will be primarily
> using Alcatel
> (A1000 and USB options for those that know) and Fujitsu badged CPE
rather
> than Concentric.
>   This 'Trial' is really the full launch of BT service, as
> there's been many
> years of the technology being deployed, and the first BT
> triallists went on,
> in North-West London, in late September of 1998.

Yes, but FNN are offering a trial of their flavour of ADSL - for those of
us
who are thinking about dipping a toe in the water, this is a way of getting
ADSL free for three months to see if it is worth taking it on a
subscription
basis.

@Backup- Protect and Access your data any time, any where on the net.
Try @Backup FREE and recieve 300 points from mypoints.com Install now: