Re: Phone automation

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Phone automation
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 02:13:50 -0800

"paul gordon" <paul_gordo-@xxxxxxx> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/?start=2170
> Another recent spate of ******ing nuisance phone calls has got me
into
> thinking again about my plans for phone automation based on Caller-ID.
>
> I've just had a quick look at what's available on Letsautomate.com
under the
> phone automation category, and came up blank with anything that would
come
> close to doing what I want.
>
> Can anybody suggest any product(s) which will allow me to put
together a
> highly-customisable automated voice-call handling system, based on
Caller-ID
> info, and various other factors (such as time of day, "do not
disturb"
> commands and so on....
>
> The sort of features i'm envisaging are:
>
> * Incoming call with caller-ID withheld = diverts instantly (without
ringing
> internal phones) to voice-mail box where they hear a message
explaining that
> I do not take calls with the ID withheld (which are usually the
***ing
> salesmen!), and allows them to leave a message.
>
> * Incoming call with caller-ID available = Well, they passed the
first test!
> - usual things, look up the number in my database, if it's from
someone on
> VIP list, then connect them immediately etc.

There is a product available off the shelf which does both these things
available from an outfit called something like LinePlex - which retails
at around 130UKP - there were references to it a year or so ago in
UK.telecom. I'm afraid I don't have time to trawl deja news right now
for more details -- it might be worth a new post to uk.telecom to see
what's available now.

I've implemented most of what you require under Linux, but since you're
a W2K man, that's not much help is it? The starting point for me was a
Crucible Technologies CID-10 caller id box, a voice modem, and a perl
script combined with a bit of custom code to talk to the two boxes.
Sadly I can't program my PBX to divert incoming calls to specific
extensions -- perhaps one day when I upgrade to a digital model...

Patrick

One email address - many people!
Start a free email group on eGroups!
http://click.egroups.com/1/1887/3/_/2065/_/952942466/