composite video on cat-5 update...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: composite video on cat-5 update...
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 15:37:08 +0000

Just another data point, for anyone considering cat-5 for video...

Due to unexpected visitors on Saturday (a bunch of little delinquents
playing with cigarettes/matches and nearly setting my garage on fire...) I
had the encouragement I needed to run some video cable outside and try a
longer run of cat-5.

At the moment, until I get more time to tidy it, there is 10m of cable
outside, terminating in a phono plug (using what was to hand!), with a 7m
phono-phono extension to the wiring corner, and another 12m or so to the
TV.  The 12V supply to the camera is connected after the first 10m.

So, total of about 30m of unshielded cat-5, monochrome camera, works a
treat.  There is a little bit of interference, only showing up as a very
fine ripple on the screen.  Occasionally, I get a little wave of colours
across the screen, but I think that is a problem with the telly not
isolating other SCART inputs- I've seen it before, and it doesn't happen
when I use the VCR inputs instead.

The camera is a little cheap IR-illuminated board camera from
http://www.henrys.co.uk, so I'm
expecting it won't have been particularly
designed to run long cables.

Now, will they come back and pose for candid camera?  Probably not...

Nigel

http://click.egroups.com/1/2130/3/_/2065/_/952357046/

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying