Re: Serial over CAT5

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Serial over CAT5
  • From: Andy.Powell@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 13:37:10 +0000

At 12:16 03/03/00 +0000, you wrote:

>Get yourself down to your local Maplin, and buy the cheapest meter they
>have.  It costs about £7, it's fairly naff, but will probably do everything
>you need a multimeter to do.  I've got a better all-singing/all-dancing one
>that I usually use, but the little analogue one still wins occasionally!

That's cheaper that a set of new bike lights! :-)

>Who needs 1% accuracy?  Maybe on one occasion in 1000?  Just about every
>time I need a multimeter, it's either to see relative changes, or for a
>quick 'working' or 'not working' answer... If it had a 1 digit display,
>that would probably be enough for most occasions.

I certainly wouldn't need that much accuracy - I acutally wouldn't know how
to utilise that sort of accuracy properly - so a £7 multimeter sounds like
my best bet.

>It depends what they implement- just Tx and Rx would only need 2 pairs, but
>if it also passes 1 handshake in each direction, it might use all 4.
>That's assuming it's all balanced, they could have bodged it onto 3 wires
>if it doesn't need to work over long distances (more than 5-10m say).

I don't need handshaking as the hardware at the other end doesn't support it.

>You can pass mV down cat-5 safely... if it's high impedance you will get
>noise added though...  what are you wanting to use it for?

Ok, here goes - I've recently purchased a Matrix-Orbital (www.matrix-orbital.com)
LCD display (40 X 4) with a PC AT keyboard interface. I've plugged in the receiver
part of an Airtech IR keyboard into this socket and use my Pronto to send 'key presses'
to my application (MP3 Player/X10 control). The idea is to have a single cable, if possible,
to take the serial connection for the LCD, 5v power for the LCD, the audio from the sound card
and the serial connection for the ibutton. The ibutton is used to effectively store (although
the idea is to use a simple serial number based ibutton) preferred settings for the lighting and music
preferences of each member of the household. Though as always with these things someone has to
have the ibutton that is classed as GOD. I guess it's a poor man's Gates palace. The LCD is used
to provide status information and menu options to control the MP3/X10 PC. Because of the PC AT keyboard
interface on the LCD it means that hotkeys to control the application are a thing of the past (I never
liked them anyway) - or worse the application would always have to be on top! - Sorry we're talking
MSWindows here...

>If it's the ibuttons again (piecing together a number of your postings!),

Oh no - someones building poster profiles - eek ;-)

>Contact Dallas and ask them if they have tested it on cat-5 if you don't
>fancy ploughing through calculations or data sheets... they've been very
>helpful in the past.  ibuttons are in a middling position on my
>ever-growing todo list (ie lots of ideas and designs, no time to build them
>yet!), so keep me posted on progress!

I guess all of us here have 20 million different projects on the go - and like

you say there doesn't seem to be enough time in a week to start them all let alone
finish them... What we need is to win the lottery so we can give up work and get on
with the things we want to do - then again if you win enough to give up work then
we'd probably all 'get a man in' to do it for us whilst we caught some rays in
Barbados!

Andy

This message is intended only for use by the person
to whom it is addressed. It may contain information
that is privileged and confidential. Its content does
not constitute a formal commitment by Lombard Odier.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
kindly notify the sender immediately and destroy this
message. Thank You.

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d