Re: Simple RF/IR distribution

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Simple RF/IR distribution
  • From: "J A Hoye" <jhoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:46:03 -0000

> >I've already put surround speaker cabling into the sitting room
> walls, and
> >redecorated(!)
>
> Not in conduit, by any chance?  Oh well :-(

Yes - but the conduit I want to run in quite tight - so I probably won't be
able to get another cable down it - thinking about it, maybe a pair from
some internal phone cable would just about go down...  that could carry the
IR couldn't it?

> >I'm assuming here that you can use a passive splitter rather
> than a signal
> >booster/amplifier... or am I wrong?  Any suggestions?
>
> Should work, but you might have problems.
>
> >Any ideas for a project that I can build to send IR down
> coax...?  I'm quite
> >happy with soldering etc.
>
> Have a look at http://www.epanorama.net.  IR is
_basically_ very simple.
> Maplin sell little IR receivers, which produce a demodulated data
stream.
> Use that at the other end to drive a 555-based multivibrator,
> everything at
> 38kHz.  It would be easiest to run a second cable with the co-ax -
like
> some exterior-rated 'phone cable.  Such a repeater, to run on cat-5,
is
> high on my to-do list, now that most rooms are getting wired for
sound...

Thanks - I find doing this sort of thing yourself is far more
rewarding/enjoyable.  Just need to present it all as a fait accompli - or I
risk being challenged....

James

Shop the web for great deals. Save on Computers,
electronics, Home furnishings and more.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1559/3/_/2065/_/951840821/

-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ukha_d/?m=1