Re: Rebooting PC automatically when it hangs?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Rebooting PC automatically when it hangs?
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 08:03:41 GMT

What I do is a combination of both of software and hardware: I use the
Microsoft NT resource kit utility shutdown.exe and the NT scheduler service
to automatically shut down NT (I only run critical apps on NT!) at 03:00
every night, AND a simple timer switch (Homebase £9.99) to turn the power
off at 03:15. It turns the power back on at 06:00 and everything boots back
up again and all is dandy!

Of course, yo do have to be careful about how you configure an ATX power
supply, as otherwise, once the power is removed, if set incorrectly, when
the power is returned it will not switch the PC back on until someone
presses the power switch on the front of the case.

And, as Mark correctly points out, if the machine has "hung", the
software
will not shut NT down correctly before the power goes off, but if it has
hung, then I would likely as not have to power cycle the machine to recover
it anyway, so I don't care that the power gets cycled automatically... In
either case, come the next morning, the machine has been power cycled, and
left off for about 3 hours regardless, and is guaranteed to be in a known
good state at the start of every day.

Paul G.