Rebooting PC automatically when it hangs?

  • To: "Ukha_D@xxxxxxx Com" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Rebooting PC automatically when it hangs?
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:48:00 +0100

A friend is on holidays and has left HomeSeer running on his PC to give the
house that "lived In" look while he's away.  His PC emails me
every night
with it's latest IP address so I can log on and check the house status for
him.

However, late last week the emails stopped.  He rang a neighbour (who holds
a key) and got them to reboot his PC.  Things were OK for another few days
but the email has stopped again.

The HA PC is an AT case and motherboard so I assume a simple appliance
module would give the ability to turn it off and on.  What I want to know
is
does anyone have a clever system that automatically detect that the HA PC
has hung and reboot it?

What I'm thinking of is an internal macro running in the CM12U that would
send a message to the PC every few minutes.  If it didn't get some kind of
predetermined reply then it would realise the PC wasn't responding and turn
it off and back on.

Apart from anything this whole episode has been a good advert for
stand-alone hardware systems like Comfort and HomeVision.

Thanks

M.
The UKs Premier Home Automation Site
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

Missing old school friends?  Find them here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/4055/7/_/2065/_/959258915/