Re: More on iButtons

Andy,

I have a little 1-wire net set up here in my home office. The 1-wire stuff
should work fine (and cheaply) for for, though in your setup you may need
run a new cable.

I don't know of any device that will actually send the data down a network.
I guess you could connect it to your serial port hub too. (Can you give me
more details of those? I've never heard of them before) You could take a
fly
lead directly from patch panel to the monitoring PC, rather than the
network
hub. CAT5 is highly thought of for 1-wire apps, and is often the cable of
choice.

I baught the thing in a kit (DS9091k), which came with 2 DS1820 temp
sensors, a comm port adaptor (though one without the built in line drivers,
so distance may be a problem) plus a host of other stuff to play with too.
If you go for one of those kits, (and at about 50 quid from Farnell why
not?) I'd seriously think about buying one of the newer comm port adaptors
to go with it, they are much easier to program, and source code is much
easier to come by for most platforms.

Stuart Grimshaw
Schoolsnet LTD             Special
www.schoolsnet.com         Projects